Friday 17 February 2012

What's cooking?....

My new project that's what! Our new kitchen.

Now it may not happen this year , but if I don't start compiling all our favourite kitchens then nothing will ever happen. So I had to ask myself...what do we want in a kitchen and how do we want it to look and function? I think function is the most important question to address. A kitchen can look great, but if it doesn't feel comfortable to work in or isn't planned well for the end user correctly then I guess it would be a disaster and not a pleasant place to spend everyday......and what sometime feels like all day everyday...when will the dishes end?... never Erika so get used to it. Luckily, I have a trusted and skilled friend who used to be a kitchen designer to help in that area! Yes, that means I will be calling on you C!

I have got my online corkboard ready to fill. Thanks Pintrest..what a clever idea!


Concentrating on looks first...we can plan later. We love Jamie's kitchen from his new series 30 minute meals and I have found another couple of kitchen that also have elements that i love...They all have a bit of a modern eclectic, industrial, rustic charm ...but most of all feel very welcoming and homely. I just don't know how it is possible to live in homes with 'clean lines', minimalist design etc.....especially with kids. If it is then whoever is living there is a better house wife than I.

   RUBRIK Ikea Kitchen 

A constant in my collection seems to be brick, however and without a brick wall in our house I don't know if I can create the same atmosphere......would it be wrong to line a perfectly good gyprock wall with raw brick? and how would it fit in. I am also not sure how you would deal with the grease and dirt that would settle on brick in a kitchen. Perhaps a certain tile or paint colour could set a similar tone.

Recipease in Clapham Junction- Jamie's foodies paradise.

A must......Timber bench top mixed with Stone bench tops, Huge window facing the garden, Island bench for easy circulation around the kitchen, pendant and task lighting, Display shelves for favourite pieces, greenery, tall tap in the sink, low drawers rather than cupboards............This is my Diary remember so don't read this boring stuff. It is really just so I can look back on this and compare it to what we actually end up with.



1 comment:

c_for_court said...

i don't know... i think you could totally make the brick work! you could do it in an area that is away from the cooking area and the sink.

you know i have a blog link to show you too.

http://5inchandup.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/my-wall.html

you could so do this as the splash back of the wall that runs along the back of where the lounges are (if i'm remembering correctly where your sink and stove are) that way, there's an element of the texture in there but it's not so huge that you dread having to clean it all the time...

looking forward to helping!